Wabash Mutual Telephone logo image
Home page Voice Internet Video News Company


The Wabash Mutual Telephone Company has come a long way since its inception in 1905. Back then subscribers had to string their own telephone wire along poles they had cut from local woods.

On December 5, 1911, the Wabash Mutual Telephone Company was incorporated under the laws of the state of Ohio. This was also the year that Wabash began providing service beyond just local calls. Customers were now able to make calls to the big city of Celina. A phone call to there was considered long distance and cost 10 cents. The monthly assessment per subscriber was 40 cents.

On March 19, 1912 , the Wabash Mutual Telephone Company purchased an area of land known as the Bobenmoeyer property. This is where the main office is located today. The company expanded it's service on March 5, 1924, by offering long distance service to Coldwater and Ft. Recovery Ohio, as well as, Bryant and New Corydon, Indiana. On December 29th, of the same year, the board purchased a new Kelloge switch board for $483.78 to handle the growth of new subscribers.

A meeting, concerning the purchase of the Wabash Mutual Telephone Company by the Celina Telephone Company, was held on December 17, 1927. On December 5, 1928, subscribers took a vote on whether to sell the company to Celina. The Subscribers opposed the sale 112 to 8.

Due to an increase in the number of subscribers over the years, an operator and lineman were employed in 1933 to maintain the lines and provide 24 hour service. The period from 9:00pm to 6:00am, however, was designated for emergency calls only.


Wabash Mutual Telephone
(Click to enlarge)

In January 1951, a special meeting of the subscribers was held to discuss the rebuilding of lines that were deteriorating. A fee of $13.00 was charged to each subscriber to help pay for the reconstruction. In March of 1960, the Wabash Mutual Telephone company purchased a dial station so that subscribers could have the more modern rotary phones installed. These phones took the place of the outdated crank phones, which had been in use since the company's inception.

By 1967, Wabash Mutual Telephone Company had installed cable half way to Celina to meet GTE's cable. This allowed Wabash to offer toll free service to Celina. On April 6, 1974, Wabash offered extended area service. This meant that subscribers could now also call Ft. Recovery and Coldwater without being charged a toll.

From 1980 to 1985, underground cable was installed to provide one party service to all subscribers. In 1986, 32.5 miles of underground cable was installed by a contractor to complete the 81 square mile area served by the Wabash Mutual Telephone Company. Also in 1986, a new digital switching system was completed. This provided Wabash subscribers with the county's first 911 service.

In 1993 the Wabash Mutual Telephone Company joined with 19 other Ohio based independent telephone companies to form a consortium named Com Net, the purpose was to provide SS7 service. This allowed Wabash to be one of the first in the area to provide caller I.D. and other "intelligent network" services. In 1994 the company and the consortium began offering internet access througout Ohio using the "bright.net" brand name. Wabash began offering this service during the second quarter of 1995.

In 2006 Wabash Mutual Telephone activated a newly installed fiber to the premise network and began offering IP digital television service to their subscribers. This fiber network allowed Wabash to not only expand their service offerings but also their service area. Today Wabash has triple play service (phone, Internet, and digital TV) available in their original service area as well as the municipalities of Celina, Coldwater and Fort Recovery.

In the future, Wabash intends to maintain its position as a cutting edge service provider through the adoption of ever advancing technology in the communications industry. Staying abreast of the latest technological advances will enable us to provide our customers with the best services available.

 


Front: Don Smith - Chairman & Frank Dues - Vice Chairman
Back: Directors – Karl Schoenherr, John Overman & Tim Berkenstock